Sunday, June 3, 2007

Seedlings and sightings


When I arrived at the farm Saturday morning (sans donuts, to Justin's dismay), Gretta was in the midst of pulling together a large order and delivery and I saw that I'd been promoted to top billing on the hoop house whiteboard ("Seeding with Laura").

The morning's planned seeding-and-weeding fest went well, thanks to a great turnout by willing shareholders and friends who helped seed scores of trays with the next items on Gretta's master crop plan: different varieties of winter squash (Sunshine and Delicata -- my personal favorite), cucumbers (Cross Country, for pickling, along with Marketmore and Lemon), more lettuce (Nevada and Oscarde), and sweet basil.

Seeding is one of those painstaking tasks that I actually enjoy (did I mention that I also like indexing?), but the prospect of filling tray after tray with planting mix, then dibbling, seeding, and covering the individual cells can be a little daunting... With multiple hands pitching in, the seeding literally flew by.

As did rock picking -- the other featured activity for anyone interesting in getting their hands dirty. By noon, a fresh crop of rock-filled, white plastic buckets had sprung up in the field.

After rumored sightings of wildlife (woodchucks -- or possibly foxes wearing woodchuck suits), the morning ended with a guided walk through the fields and a chance to sample coming attractions -- snap peas picked straight from the vine.

1 comment:

ann said...

I love your image of the field filled with the surprising crop of rock-filled white buckets!