Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Summer in New England has barely started and the season's already flying by. The snap peas are gone, the squash plants are huge (and scratchy), and we're starting to seed winter crops.

Last weekend I brought home tomatoes, zucchini, summer squash, basil, sage, baby carrots, tiny purple onions, and leaf lettuce. It still amazes me that all of this beautiful produce comes out of a field in Belmont.

I made a mental note about the early tomato variety (Glacier) in this week's share -- it's a good one to know about. The name also brings back memories of seeding tomatoes in the Curro greenhouse one particularly bone-chilling day last March. Five or six women showed up to help seed that day and the company had warmth, even if the greenhouse didn't. That sense of community is part of what appeals to me about working on the farm.

Getting to do my weekly vegetable shopping in the barn or walking out into the field to harvest it myself isn't so bad either. I know that Gretta appreciates my help, but really, sometimes I think I have the sweeter deal.

No comments: